Tag Archives: moebius

Another Cowl? Yes, Another Cowl.

I got a lot done on my moebius cowl waiting in the Detroit Metro airport for my flight back home after Christmas, but discovered a knot in the yarn just before the end.  Since I hadn’t packed a tapestry needle, figuring that I’d just weave in the ends when I got home, I didn’t have a good way to join the yarn.  I’ve recently discovered a method described in (I think) Wendy Johnson’s book Wendy Knits Lace.  I checked it out from my local library a couple of weeks ago, and don’t have it in my apartment any longer, so I’m not suree.  Further bulletins as events warrant.

Whatever the publication, the method is to thread a tapestry needle with the yarn tail, and then turn the needle back and weave it through the yarn, starting a couple of inches back from the cut end.  When you pull the yarn through, you end up with a loop.  Then, thread the new yarn through the tapestry needle, pass it through the loop in the yarn tail, and weave it back and forth through itself just like the first.  You can then tighten up the loops and smooth out the woven ends.  There will be a thicker portion in the yarn, but a small adjustment in tension evens out the gauge and the join is very strong.

I wove in the ends this afternoon, and finished the cowl.  I love the shape.  The middle row, which is actually the provisional cast on, has a bit of a strange look to it, but it’s actually less noticeable in real life than it is in this picture.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under knitting, knitting finished objects

The Cowls! They Multiply!

I just finished a third cowl from the GAP-tastic Cowl pattern. I’m liking the Wool-Ease yarn, and I hope it holds up well in the wash.

Now, I’m working on a moebius cowl in the same stitch, with the same number of stitches cast on initially, but using Cat Bordhi’s Intro to Moebius Knitting cast on from Youtube. I had a skein each of the reds that I used for the first two cowls left over, so this is what I’m going to do with them.

Last but not least, I picked up two coat patterns at JoAnn’s New Year’s sale, McCall’s 5759 and Vogue 8346. (I also picked up two dress/top patterns. More on that later.)

I have this delightful dilemma where my pattern size is a 12 at the bust, 10 at the waist, and 14 at the hips. I don’t know if you’re aware, but it is exceedingly rare to find those three sizes in one envelope. On top of this, my shoulders are wide and either my shoulder blades stick out or my shoulders slope slightly forward.

I’m going to be making view B from the Vogue pattern. I’ve gotten pretty good at altering things, but I’m definitely going to be spending some time on the muslin for this. It seems pretty tailored, so getting it right is pretty important.

Now I get to find my fabric. Current choices include camel wool, red and black wool, cranberry plaid wool, and grey and black wool, all from Denver Fabrics.

1 Comment

Filed under knitting, knitting finished objects, sewing